About the Program
The Red Hook Community Justice Center, a demonstration project of the Center for Court Innovation, is hiring a Social Worker to work with both voluntary and mandated clients. The Red Hook Community Justice Center is the nation’s first multi-jurisdictional community court, hearing criminal, housing and family matters under one roof with a single judge. The Justice Center’s mission is to solve community problems: strengthening families, assisting at-risk youth, preventing evictions, addressing crime when it occurs and working to prevent crime before it takes place. Court-mandated clients are sentenced to community restitution and linked to a full range of on-site and community-based social services, including drug treatment, mental health services, trauma counseling, family mediation, GED, and domestic violence services.
Reporting to the Clinical Director, the Social Worker is responsible for providing assessment and comprehensive case management services to a caseload of defendants and respondents in Criminal Court or Family Court proceedings, as well as voluntary inter-department and community based referrals.
About the Position
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting clinical assessments and providing recommendations for services and treatment;
- Providing comprehensive, clinically informed case management services that address issues such as substance use, mental health issues, trauma, domestic violence and housing for a caseload of short- and long-term mandated and voluntary clients;
- Maintaining appropriate client information in electronic databases and hard files;
- Providing written treatment updates to the court for all mandated clients;
- Making appropriate community-based referrals for a variety of social service needs;
- Managing and monitoring compliance with treatment mandates;
- Facilitating a range of on-site psychoeducational groups and conducting individual case management sessions;
- Serving as a resource for other departments within the building through case management and/or case consultations, including the Housing Resource Center, Peacemaking, or Youth/Community programs;
- Assisting with toxicology testing;
- Participating in weekly department staff meetings, interdisciplinary treatment meetings, and on- and off-site trainings;
- Assisting with administrative responsibilities, including data management and grant reporting,
compliance monitoring, and courtroom coverage when needed.
The ideal candidate will have a MSW with a minimum of 2 years in a related area. Candidates must either be currently licensed or obtain the New York LMSW licensure within 90 days of hire. Experience in a court or criminal justice setting preferred. Candidate must be able to effectively work with diverse client populations, as a team member in a culturally and racially diverse setting, and collaborate with on-site partner agencies and court personnel. Experience with drug/alcohol treatment and mental health services preferred and must excel at client engagement, and be comfortable working with adults, adolescents, and families. A highly-organized individual with excellent time management skills, and strong writing ability strongly desired. A sense of humor, critical thinking skills, and ability to manage high-pressure/fast-paced work environment are a plus. Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and writing sample to Email , with Social Worker as the subject line of the email.
If you are unable to access email, you may submit materials by mail or fax to:
Attn.: Nora Offen, Senior Social Worker
Red Hook Community Justice Center
88 Visitation Place
Brooklyn, NY 11231
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Learn more about us at courtinnovation.org.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer.