About the Program
Operating out of four storefronts in Central Brooklyn, the Crown Heights Community Mediation Center provides anti-violence programs, youth programs and resource links to community residents. Its mission is to encourage communication and understanding, prevent future conflicts, and help foster stronger, healthier neighborhoods.
The Crown Heights Community Mediation Center is seeking a Program Coordinator. Reporting to the Director of Clinical and Trauma Support Services, the Program Coordinator will focus on supporting the infrastructure of the Make It Happen program. Make It Happen, run in partnership with the Center for Court Innovation’s Research-Practice Strategies department gives young men between the ages of 16 and 24 who have experienced violence the tools necessary to overcome traumatic experiences, and enable them to succeed despite those experiences.
The Program Coordinator will assist in promoting the initiatives of the Make It Happen program by combining supportive services and raising awareness among existing victim service providers on the needs of young men of color who have experienced violence and trauma.
About the Position
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Facilitate workshops with community members on various topics that impact young men of color and their healing;
- Coordinate Make It Happen (MIH) youth advisory board meetings, by combining supportive services with awareness-raising among existing victim service providers;
- Schedule and manage the planning of the MIH middle school roundtables on topics related to young men of color and healing;
- Develop and update public education material specifically for the Make It Happen program;
- Plan MIH’s annual Paving the Way conference on working with young men of color impacted by violence.;
- Conduct site visits for service providers to build relationships and increase access to services for all Crown Heights Community Mediation Center program participants;
- Oversee stipends for Make It Happen peer leaders and presenters;
- Manage subcontracts with consultants for the Make It Happen program;
- Assist with outreach and providing public education about the MIH program at community events;
- Raise awareness amongst traditional victims’ service providers to strengthen their efforts to work with all victims of violence;
- Coordinate and execute a communications/marketing strategy for external stakeholders interested in the work of Make It Happen;
- Manage MIH email communications & marketing;
- Work in collaboration with the Crown Heights Project Director, Director of Clinical and Trauma Support Services, Deputy Director, Research-Practice Strategies, and Men’s Empowerment Coordinator on program design and growth;
- Assist with sustainability and innovation strategies for the Make It Happen program.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years in a related area, preferably as a criminal justice practitioner. Excellent written skills are a must. Candidate must be a skilled communicator able to work in a multi-disciplinary setting and maintain strong relationships with multiple agencies and organizations, both on-site and in the community. Candidates who are familiar with the needs of the young men involved in the community are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and writing sample to Email , with Program Coordinator as the subject line of the email.
If you are unable to access email, you may submit materials by mail or fax to:
Attn.: Kenton Kirby
Crown Heights Community Mediation Center
256 Kingston Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 10013
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Learn more about us at courtinnovation.org.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer.