About the Program
One of the Center’s newest projects is the recently launched Bronx Youth Court. The Center’s Youth Courts handle cases involving young people, ages 10 to 18, who have been cited for low-level offenses such as vandalism, fare evasion, assault, and truancy. Teen volunteers lead hearings or restorative justice circles, assign sanctions, and provide mentoring to youth offenders. The Center’s Youth Courts receive referrals from schools, the New York City Police Department, the New York City Department of Probation, Family and Criminal Courts, and local District Attorney's offices.
The Bronx Youth Court is seeking a Program Associate. Reporting to the Youth Court Coordinator, the Program Associate is responsible for peer-led restorative justice programming, including assisting with all aspects of youth court operations, restorative circles, community service and community benefits projects. The Program Associate is responsible for the recruitment, training, and selection of youth court members, as well as the facilitation, documentation and management of all youth court referrals and sanction compliance. The associate is also responsible for developing and sustaining partnerships with community and justice system stakeholders.
About the Position
- Assist in the daily operation of the Youth Court;
- Assist with the recruitment of participants for Youth Court training and membership;
- Assist with the training of members and, together with the Youth Court Coordinator, facilitate and organize the 40-hour youth court member training;
- Conduct outreach to parents and youth who are referred to the Youth Court;
- Assist in developing and coordinating community service projects for respondent youth;
- Monitor and track compliance of respondent youth and prepare compliance reports for referring agencies;
- Assist in the scheduling of Youth Court hearings and training for Youth Court members;
- Manage administrative needs, including purchasing, record keeping, communications and stipends;
- Support youth court members during trainings and hearings;
- Assist in the coordination and planning of special events;
- Assist in conducting outreach to community based organizations to support the function and growth of the program;
- Perform other supportive tasks and functions as assigned by the Youth Court Coordinator.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience. Must have ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, and solve problems creatively. Must be a dynamic facilitator who feels comfortable working youth. Strong written skills are a must. Strong attention to detail and demonstrated ability to be responsible for administrative tasks preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office required. Conversational Spanish skills required. Professional and/or personal knowledge and familiarity of the Bronx communities preferred. Experience working with high school-aged youth highly preferred. Familiarity with restorative practices preferred, but not required.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Email , with Program Associate, Youth Court as the subject line of the email.
If you are unable to access email, you may submit materials by mail or fax to:
Attn.: Jordan Otis, Planner
Center for Court Innovation
520 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Learn more about us at courtinnovation.org.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer.