About the Program
The Brownsville Community Justice Center seeks to reengineer how the justice system works in Brownsville, Brooklyn. In particular, the Justice Center is dedicated to building multiple off-ramps for young people who come into contact with the justice system by providing much-needed services to young people arrested in Brownsville. The aim is to provide the kind of support that young people need to become law-abiding members of society. The ultimate goal is to reduce crime and the use of incarceration, while at the same restoring local faith in the justice system.
The Brownsville Community Justice Center is seeking a Program Associate to work with the Youth and Community Programs team. Reporting to the Youth and Community Programs Coordinator, the Program Associate assists with youth program implementation, academic support, and enrichment programming, in addition to creating and implementing community engagement strategies.
About the Position
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support youth programming focused on leadership development and community engagement utilizing a strengths based and social justice framework
- Assist with coordinating arts and project based youth internship programming, including working with teaching artists and community partners
- Supervise youth enrichment activities including field trips, retreats, academic enrichment and employment readiness programming
- Assist with employment readiness programming and provide individual employment support
- Work with youth participants to create youth led programming
- Work with a team to identify community benefit projects and opportunities for youth participants
- Organize and oversee ongoing community benefit projects
- Assist with recruitment strategies for youth programs
- Facilitate collaborations with a broad range community stakeholders
- Represent the justice center at community events and meetings
- Provide administrative support to the Youth Programs department, including assisting with data entry, stipend payments, and contracts.
- Assist the Youth and Community Programs Coordinator with the implementation of new programs, initiatives, and projects
This demanding position requires a creative, aggressive self-starter who can things done in a high-paced environment. Candidates must be comfortable navigating interdisciplinary settings and must be willing to roll up their sleeves and be actively involved in day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree or at least two (2) years of relevant youth and programming experience. Candidate must have experience with youth engagement, advocacy, and outreach. Candidate must have administrative experience. Candidate must have experience facilitating group programming. Candidates must be committed to using holistic and strengths-based approaches. Candidates must be willing and able to work collaboratively with a variety of community stakeholders and partner agencies. Candidate must have the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds in a culturally competent manner and have a commitment to social justice and anti-oppressive practices. Candidate must be committed to place based and community based work. In depth knowledge of and familiarity with the Brownsville, Brooklyn community preferred. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a cover letter and resume to Email , with Program Associate, Youth and Community Programs as the subject line of the email.
If you are unable to access email, you may submit materials by mail or fax to:
Attn: Tiara McLaughlin
Brownsville Community Justice Center
519 Rockaway Ave, 2nd Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11212
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Learn more about us at courtinnovation.org.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer.