About the Program
Midtown Community Court is seeking volunteers to participate in a Community Engagement Fellowship at the Midtown Community Court to support the Midtown community. Volunteers will support the community through a needs assessment aimed to identify specific problem areas in Midtown (between 14th St. and 99th St.) and collaborate with residents, businesses, and criminal justice stakeholders to problem-solve identified needs. To support the community, there will also be a place-based community event or activity, which may include space activation, neighborhood beautification, art installation, and/or community service projects.
This volunteer position is ideal for someone who lives, attends school, works, or formerly worked in the Midtown community, or otherwise identifies as belonging to the Midtown community and is committed to its enhancement.
About the Position
Volunteer tasks include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with Midtown staff and other community engagement fellows to support and advance the needs assessment and place-based community event or activity;
- Attend tabling events that serve the Midtown community;
- Participate in community meetings and events;
- Engage with community members;
- Attend reflection meetings with project team;
- Engage in other related activities that advance the Community Engagement Fellowship experience.
The Midtown Community Court especially seeks a volunteer who is passionate about working with communities to promote enhancement and community problem-solving. This position is ideal for someone who possesses:
- Communication skills
- A dynamic personality
- Ability to work with diverse people and communities in a comfortable and non-judgmental manner
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and ability to problem-solve
- Experience with grassroots/neighborhood campaigns and/or community engagement is a plus
- Preference for someone who is part of the Midtown community
Position Type: Temporary, Volunteer. Because of the nature of this project, we hope to engage a volunteer who can dedicate approximately 10-20 hours per week from January to June 2019. Flexible hours depending on volunteers’ interest and availability, including attending daytime and evening events.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter with Community Engagement Volunteer in the subject line to: email@example.com.
If you are unable to access email, you may submit materials by mail or fax to:
Community Engagement Volunteer c/o Kianna Ruff
Midtown Community Court
314 W. 54th Street
New York, NY 10019
Note: The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. The Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities as well as individuals with prior contact with the criminal justice system.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Learn more about us at www.courtinnovation.org.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer.