The Center for Court Innovation, a project of the Fund for the City of New York, is a non-profit organization that promotes new thinking about how to reduce crime, violence and victimization and strengthen communities. The Center creates operating projects that test new approaches to problems that have resisted conventional solutions. One of these demonstration sites is the Crown Heights Community Mediation Center. Operating out of a storefront since the summer of 1998, the Mediation Center provides anti-violence programs, youth programs and resource links to community residents. Its mission is to encourage communication and understanding, prevent future conflicts, and help foster stronger, healthier neighborhoods.
The Crown Heights Community Mediation Center works to strengthen the neighborhoods it serves in order to make them safer and more vibrant by engaging the local residents in problem solving and civic engagement. Key programs focus on youth organizing, expanding and providing mental health services for young men of color, violence intervention and prevention as well as a volunteer run legal resource clinic. A key project of the Mediation Center, Save Our Streets Brooklyn (S.O.S.), is a community based effort to end gun violence based on the Cure Violence model.
The Crown Heights Community Mediation Center, a project of the Center for Court Innovation, is seeking a Planner who will assist the management team with administrative functions, program operations, grants and reporting, social media and ensuring excellence when it comes to program deliverables.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Grants and reporting:
- Assist with strategic planning, program development, and fundraising, including grant writing and grant management
- Assist the Project Director and Deputy director in identifying new funding streams and drafting proposals
- Assist the Project Director and Deputy director with the execution of grant funded programming including assisting with hiring of staff, collection of data and achievement of deliverables
Social Media and other communication tools:
- Assist senior staff with the strategic vision for social media and ensure language and content coincides with pragmatic initiatives
- Update and manage webpages, multiple blogs, and social media communications including: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Assist with budgeting and spending plans
- Assist management team with facility related matters that require follow up
- Attend community meetings at the request of the management team
- Take notes and follow up on all action items discussed at regular staff meetings
- Assist with the planning of staff development retreats and professional development opportunities
- Update and manage orientation and on-boarding of new staff
- Assisting the management team with administrative responsibilities
- Assist the management team to organize bi-annual community meetings and legislative breakfast
- Assist the management team in communicating and resolving issue with the offices managers and various locations
- Bachelors or related degree
- Grant writing skills
- Social media skills
- Understanding of non-profit, governmental, city and foundation budget process
- Ability to effectively and respectfully communicate with others
- Extremely punctual and reliable, highly organized and detail-oriented
- Well organized, demonstrated ability to prioritize, detail-oriented
- Strong written & verbal skills
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and as part of a team
Apply early, applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
Writing sample: Please draft a “Letter Of Interest” to a potential funder for a program that would enhance the Mediation Center’s current programing.
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and writing sample to:
Subject line: Program Planner
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.